Digital Repository@HKUL

Kowloon Park, Tsim Sha Tsui

尖沙咀九龍公園


In the 1830s, some westerners found that Victoria Harbour was an ideal anchorage place for vessels. At that time, the site of the later Kowloon Park was an important military base over-looking the Harbour. In 1861, the British occupied Kowloon peninsula and named the base as Whitfield Barracks. Kowloon Park was officially opened on 24 June 1970 by the then Governor, Sir David Trench. In 1989, the park was redeveloped at a cost of $300 million, which was funded by the then Royal Hong Kong Jockey Club.

在19世紀30年代,有西方人發現維多利亞港是個理想的船隻停泊處。當時,九龍公園的所在地是個面對海港的軍事戰略重地,至1861年,英軍佔領九龍半島,隨即把該處命名為威菲路軍營。1970年6月24日,九龍公園由當時的總督戴麟趾爵士正式揭幕。至1989年,由前英皇御准香港賽馬會重建公園,耗資達三億港元。

Collection
Hong Kong Image Database
Sub-Collection
Past and Present
License
All rights reserved
Rights Statement
In Copyright
Subject
 Recreation
Location
Tsim Sha Tsui — Kowloon Park, Yau Tsim Mong District
Date
c.1980s
Owner
University of Hong Kong Libraries. Special Collections 香港大學圖書館. 特藏部
Source Type
Slide — Colour
Accession No
S2008.0135
Resource Type
Still Image