Digital Repository@HKUL

The Supreme Court, Central District

中環高等法院


The old Supreme Court which has housed the Legislative Council Chambers since 1985, was built on reclaimed land using hundreds of Chinese fir-tree piles as foundations. The building was opened on 15 January 1912 by the Governor, Sir Frederick Lugard. The two-storey granite building is neo-classical in style supported by tall Ionic columns. The most outstanding feature of the building is the pediment in the centre portion which is surmounted by a blind-folded statue of Justice, represented by the Greek goddess Themis.

舊高等法院坐落於填海區,屋基由數以百計的杉樹樁組成,於1912年1月15日由當時總督盧押爵士宣告正式啟用。這座兩層高花崗石大樓,採用新古典主義派的建築風格,地面以愛奧尼亞式石柱環抱。最具特色的是中央部分的三角形山牆,山牆頂部矗立著一座希臘特彌斯女神蒙眼雕像,用以代表公義。建築物自1985年起用作立法會大樓。

Collection
Hong Kong Image Database
Sub-Collection
Past and Present
License
All rights reserved
Rights Statement
In Copyright
Subject
 Public buildings
Location
Central District — Supreme Court, Central and Western District
Date
Early 20th century
Owner
香港大學圖書館. 特藏部 University of Hong Kong Libraries. Special Collections
Source Type
Photograph — B&W
See Also
https://www.google.com.hk/maps/@22.2785477,114.1637831,3a,90y,232.53h,121.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdOO0qPLxqcybkwtsMkRX4Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
Accession No
B2008.0034
Resource Type
Still Image